The other day I went to the cinema by myself to see a film called Sunshine On Leith. It was probably one of the best experiences of my life. I was laughing and crying and laughing and smiling the whole time, and when it was over, I left feeling exhilarated and just so, so so happy. So, I thought I'd write this list of my top 5 feel-good movies, because even thinking about them makes me happy.
It was very difficult for me not to fill this entire list with musicals, because apparently some people don't like musicals???? (what????????????????????) I'm 100% sure there is a direct correlation between the amount of super fun musical numbers and the happiness that is extracted by the audience. Unless you're someone who hates musicals. They're probably the same kind of people who enforce "compulsory fun" and create computer viruses.
5. Mamma Mia! (2008)
This movie is full of ABBA classics that everyone knows, plus it's set in beautiful Greece, so it's bound to be a good time. The story of a girl's quest to find her father by inviting all three possibilities to her wedding on a tiny island is a recipe for humorous disaster and the perfect time to whip out a little bit of Voulez-Vous. The cast is incredible (Meryl Streep, Amanda Seyfried, Colin Firth, Julie Walters, Christine Baranski, to name a few), it's full of lighthearted fun and did I mention the ABBA songs????????
4. Angus, Thongs and Perfect Snogging (2008)
This coming-of-age British comedy about a weird teenage girl and her weird friends and her weird family is just one big fun fest. From the olive costume to the eyebrow shaving to boy stalking to the kissing lessons, this film is so ridiculous but so real at the same time, with the added bonus of a cute Aaron Johnson pre-witch wife situation to make you even more happy. Cheesy sometimes, yes. But what's wrong with that?
3. How To Train Your Dragon (2010)
Animated movies are also usually pretty feel-good, but this one takes the cake. Dragons! Vikings! Flying! Dorky freckly boys! Dragons that are basically giant cats! Dorky freckly boys becoming best friends with dragons that are basically giant cats and then flying them to save the rest of the Vikings! Stunning animation, beautiful scenery, comical voices and well timed jokes make this movie exhilarating. It feels like you can fly.
2. Footloose (1984)
Who doesn't love a bit of Bacon? When Kevdogs moves to the small town of Bomont and discovers they've put a ban on dancing, he's got to do something about it. So, with the help of the priest's reb daughter, his dorky new best friend, and Sarah Jessica Parker, he rallies the teenagers to convince the council to let them have a prom - but not before he has an emotional and angst-filled dance break in an abandoned warehouse. The soundtrack to this movie is full of amazing 80s power ballads and also possibly the best song of all time (Footloose, duh). Plus: dancing!
1. Sunshine On Leith (2013)
I love this movie. As soon as it started and I heard the music I was hooked and I didn't stop smiling the whole time. It's set in Scotland which means amazing funny accents and it's a jukebox of Proclaimers songs, which means you just know it's gonna close with I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles) and when it inevitably does, you are just feeling so GREAT about everything you just want to jump out of your seat and sing along. Literally the happiest I can remember being after a movie. I'M ON ME WEH FROM MISERY TER 'APPINESS TERDERRRR UH HUH UH HUH UH HUH UH HUH





No comments:
Post a Comment