Friday, August 15, 2014

#TRXYE


Being involved as a fan of Youtube means you get to see people you've watched for years achieve their dreams and shit safely from your very own bed, which often makes you feel insecure about your life and your age. So now that lil Youtube kid from Perth (I say 'lil kid' he's literally the same age as me), Troye Sivan, has released his music, and gone to #1 in like 55 countries, we should probs talk about it. 

I'm gonna start this off by saying I was a little apprehensive about listening to his music, and I've never watched any of the songs he's posted on his Youtube channel. The reason for this is that I have this weird thing where I can't listen to/read anything that someone I know has created, and I know that I don't know Troye, but weirdly the same thing applies to him. I'm interested to see if it will happen when Zoella releases her novel. It probably will, but I will push on!

Anyway, when I finally worked up the courage to listen to his first single, Happy Little Pill, I was a little (a lot) surprised. The sound is awesome, he's a good singer, but I was really taken aback by the lyrics and they still kind of make me uncomfortable. I don't really like it when I feel like the singer doesn't have a personal connection to the things they're singing about, and this song makes me go Troye????? What have you been DOING????? But also kind of like, this kid is 19 and Australian like me, what am I not seeing? Even though his life is clearly a lot different to most normal 19 year old Aussie kids.

Upon learning he wrote it about something his friend was going through (taking antidepressants) combined with the feeling of emptiness when alone in a big city (LA), it became easier to handle and I feel like you can really concentrate on the way it feels like travelling alone in a car at night time looking out the window as lights flash by along a busy night strip. 

Right, the rest of the EP. TRXYE features 5 songs, all of which flow really well together and construct a sound that is sort of electronic but really chill and so cool at the same time. It makes me imagine bright neon light shining through fog above a road wet from rain. My favourite song is Fun, beats me what it's about but who cares when it has such a great feel to it. They all feel very American, as well. Do you get that? I don't know, they just do.

I've been listening to the EP on repeat for a couple of hours now. His voice is smooth and so nice, on all the tracks, especially the deeply personal Gasoline. He clearly has an aesthetic in mind that he wants his image to ascribe to and it certainly does. From the album cover, where his eyes are covered, to the X in the name, to the Happy Little Pill video, which is so beautiful and, random owls aside, really keeps in with the blue/pink/everything/nothing/who am I theme-ish type thing. From here, I can only see him skyrocketing to stardom. Pedestrian.tv has already called him Boy Wonder, and frankly, he's so cool he makes us all feel a bit inadequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment